Space and place, people and practice is a Cultural Enterprise Officenetworking event delivered in partnership with Wasps Studios and The National Federation of Artists Studio Providers.
Saturday 20 April 2013, 14:00-17:00
Gallery Space, 4th Floor, Meadow Mill, West Hendersons Wynd, Dundee DD1 5BY.
This event explores how artists create informal and formal groups around places and spaces. The people involved, and the property selected inform how these groups establish themselves, choose their structure and business model. They also influence what is provided and who for and how the organisation relates to place and connects with the surrounding community.
Through presentations from Off the Rails Arthouse (Ladybank, Fife), Tin Roof(Dundee), The Bothy Project (Scotland) and East Street Arts (Leeds), this event will explore a range of artist-led organisations that either generate income via membership, studios lets, residencies, commercial and facilities hire, retail sales or a combination of the above.
The event will be chaired by Chris Biddlecombe, a Scottish based sculptor, National Property Projects Officer for Wasps Studios, founder member of the Scottish Artists Union, executive member of the European Council of Artists and Specialist Property Adviser for Cultural Enterprise Office.
Full details of the event including contributors’ and partners’ biographies are available on their website here.
What to expect:
Artist-led organisations of varying size, purpose and operation will discuss:
- The importance and relevance of space and location and how this supports and / or restricts people’s connectivity within, between and beyond place
- How people and place influence an organisation’s business model and operations
- Their structure appropriate to their aims, operations, people and place
- Their ability to evolve, adapt and innovate to sustain their operations and in response to external factors
What You’ll Get Out of It:
- Insight into the operations of artist-led organisations
- Inspiration to initiate and sustain your artist-led organisation and review your business model
- Opportunity to network with artist-led organisations facing similar challenges to you
- Engage in discussion about current and future best practice
How to book:
This workshop is free. Spaces are limited so booking is essential. For more information or to reserve a place, please call the Cultural Enterprise Office Enquiry Line on 0844 544 9990 or email email@example.com.